Engineering Manager - Rotterdam
Bynder goes far beyond managing digital assets. Our digital asset management platform enables teams to conquer the chaos of proliferating content, touchpoints, and relationships in order to thrive.
With powerful and intuitive solutions that embrace the way people want to work, and a richly integrated ecosystem, We are the brand ally that unifies and transforms the creation and sharing of assets, inspiring teams, delighting customers, and elevating businesses.
Our 500+ employees, known as ‘Byndies’, together constitute the world’s most extensive pool of digital asset management expertise. We enable more than 1.7M users across more than 3,700 organizations, including Spotify, Puma, Five Guys and Icelandair.
Founded in 2013, we have eight offices around the globe, including the Netherlands, USA, Spain, UK, Australia and UAE. For more information, visit www.bynder.com.
The Software Engineering Manager (SEM) is above all a servant-leader who focuses primarily on the growth and well-being of people and the communities within the Software Engineering department. Hence the primary responsibility of the Software Engineering Manager is people management. At Bynder we complemented this with Competence Leadership and/or Technical Leadership. The balance between them will depend on your experiences and growth.
- People management
- identify the right candidates for the teams and work with the recruiting partner to bring them on board;
- actively works to engage and retain Byndies;
- fosters the career growth of the team members by seeking challenging, impactful work for all members of the team based on their skills and interests;
- sets clear objectives and addresses performance issues with support from his/her manager;
- stimulates team members to explore opportunities to work on next-level assignments that demonstrate readiness for promotion when appropriate;
- collects and provides real-time (360) feedback and coaching to the team members to drive high performance and career growth;
- champions his/her team members with others at Bynder, including leadership.
- Competence leadership
- maintains high level expertise in their field;
- strives to improve efficiency and sustainability of processes and to reduce waste;
- assures that competence related processes and deliverables meet quality, security and compliance guidelines;
- helps to create and oversee competence specific budgets and engages in cost management strategies;
- advocates on behalf of team members by securing adequate resources for success.
- Technical leadership
- contributes to the training and onboarding of new team members;
- coaching and mentoring team members with the technical aspects of their jobs, such as coding and programming;
- explains (new) technical initiatives and troubleshoot any problems that occur during the execution of these initiatives;
- guides teams through technical issues and challenges;
- provides input in strategic technical decisions and solutions, when needed.
- follows through on commitments and takes responsibility for his/her work and the work of his/her team members;
- thinks a step or two ahead and helps the team members to solve the right problems before they become bigger problems;
- is worthy of trust and leads by example;
- builds relationships across teams and helps them get to win-win outcomes;
- Speaks up when disagrees and commits on made decisions;
- generates excitement for the company’s and team's strategy;
- manages conflict with empathy in mind;
- listens to different perspectives and removes biases from words and actions;
- creates an inclusive environment for all team members where it’s safe to speak up;
- drives discussions with his/her manager about aspirational goals and seeks out opportunities to learn and grow;
- invests time in being a better manager and leader
- communicates and collaborates with other managers, stakeholders and contractors
- BS or higher in Computer Science or a related field (or equivalent experience)
- Strong management background (5+ years) and experience managing larger engineering teams in SaaS organisations
- Experience working with remote and distributed teams
- Experience in growing and developing people and their careers
- Experience with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes
- Exceptional communication skills, both within your team and with leadership and stakeholders
- Experience building and leading businesses units, including ownership and optimisation of business performance metrics
- Bonus points for full-stack development experience
- Resident of the European Union
What we offer
- Competitive Base Salary
- Unlimited Vacation Policy
- Personal Development Plan for Career Growth
- Flat hierarchy where your voice will be truly heard
- Great Office in the city centre of Rotterdam
- Challenging and inspiring work environment
- After work drinks with your fellow Byndies
- Free Daily lunch
- Hybrid working
- Apple gear